If you are planning to study in USA, either for the undergraduate studies or the post graduate studies, an action plan is extremely necessary. Here is a detailed timeline for pursuing higher studies in the United States for the September 2019 intake.
These are basically the first steps which you need to take between April 2018 to September 2018.
– It is better to start early and begin by shortlisting about 10 to 12 universities where you intend to apply. It is advised to go through the websites of the universities in details and make a not of the requirements for application, eligibility, deadlines etc.
– By September, you should be familiar with the options for bank loan and scholarships for the financial assistance of your studies.
– Start downloading the admission brochures and get the detailed information.
– An initial research on the options for accommodation would be good.
Read more: What’s the Procedure to Study in USA?
June 2018 to December 2018 is the time for you to crack the required examinations which an essential part of the admission process.
– Preparing for the required standardise exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT or SAT depending on your chosen university and course.
– By the month of June or July or 3 months prior to the test date register yourself for GRE/GMAT.
– Register yourself for IELTS or TOEFL a month before the date of test.
– Sit for the required test around the month of September. It is also very important to have a plan for the buffer time in case a retest is required. Check the retesting procedure as well as guidelines.
August 2018 to October 2018 is the time for application.
– Start with shortlisting colleges and prepare for your application.
– The deadline should be kept in mind and accordingly prepare for the documents and keep all other necessary things ready with you.
– Do everything carefully so as to not miss out anything and hence it is better to take a month’s time for doing the same.
– Finally, apply before the deadline.
These steps should be completed within November 2018 to April 2019.
– Be prompt in replying to the college and university emails.
– Appear for the personal or video interviews which are usually scheduled between January to March.
– After you receive the letters of acceptance, make your decision quick and fast.
– Make sure to notify your decision to the authority within the deadline.
– Pay the non refundable deposit as a confirmation of your admission.
Visa and finance are two major components of your study in USA, so proceed with it between May 2019 to July 2019.
– Start searching for external scholarships if applicable and apply for it.
– After you have the letter of acceptance, apply for the student loan.
– Check the requirements for the student visa and complete the paperwork.
– Always keep in mind about the time of processing visa and apply in time.
– Finally, it’s time for flying to the United States between July 2019 to August 2019.
– Book you flight tickets in time.
– It is important to make proper arrangements for an international debit or credit card.
– Keep all documents in original as well as their photocopies for carrying to the US.
– Make sure to go through the pre departure checklist.