Every year thousands of students from across the world visit the United States in order to pursue higher education. The United States of America houses a number of well – known colleges and universities which offers mind – blowing opportunities to the students. However, before moving to the United States for pursuing higher studies, it is important for the students to understand that the cost of living in the United States. Listed below are some of the tips that you should consider in order to get top quality higher education.
- Living costs in USA: The cost of living may differ depending on which area you stay in and whether you stay in an urban, suburban, or rural area. In general, it is quite expensive to stay in urban areas while it is economical to stay in rural and suburban areas. The living costs may differ considerably based on the below mentioned factors:
- On-campus accommodation or renting apartments outside campus
- Amount spent on entertainment
- Selecting meal plans, eating out or personal grocery shopping
- Availing public transport or traveling by car
- Cost of food: Depending on the dietary habits of an individual the cost of groceries may differ. In case some meals are included with the accommodation in the University, then one should search for some cost-effective supermarkets. On-campus meal plans are also economical option available while on the other hand, the cost of food in the restaurants may differ depending on the food type as well as the category of the restaurant.
- Transportation: Opting for the public transportation monthly pass is quite a cost-effective option especially if the University offers discounts for students. However, the major transportation cost will perhaps be flying from and to the home country. Therefore, a student should be careful to plan the air fares into the total budget.
Several support systems are there in the USA for students to get financial assistance. Several students get funding for college in the USA through loans and grants. Many students may also be entitled for scholarships, which must be earned, whether through athletic talent, academic merit, or civic performance.
However, it is recommended to do a personal calculation of all the costs to ensure that you have adequate money in your budget before you arrive in the USA, and start researching sources of financial help well in advance.